15-11-CWS | February 18, 2015
BILOXI, Miss. – Organizers of the Celebrate the Gulf Marine Education Festival will hold the first children’s coloring contest in conjunction with this year’s event. The competition is open to students in Kindergarten through eighth grade, and they are asked to submit an original design that depicts the conservation or scenic qualities of Mississippi’s coastal resources.
The festival will be held Saturday, April 11, in conjunction with Art in the Pass. Both festivals will be held at War Memorial Park in Pass Christian.
Art submissions will be divided into four divisions: K-2nd grades, 3rd-5th grades and 6th-8th grades. The winning artist from each division will receive four tickets to a local family attraction.
• Contest is open to all students enrolled in public, home or private school.
• No entry fee is required.
• Artist must be under 13 years of age.
• Entry size is 8 ½” X 11.”
• Any medium may be used (e.g. pen and ink, colored pencil, acrylics, charcoal, pastels, collage, water color, etc.)
• Please include on the back of the artwork artist’s name (spelled correctly and legibly), age, grade and school name (if applicable).
• Computer-generated art is NOT acceptable.
• Art work should depict Mississippi’s coastal resources.
• Employees of the DMR and their immediate family members are not eligible for the contest.
• Entry deadline March 19, 2015, 5 p.m.
• Teachers should submit all student entries in one packet to the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR), c/o Jessica Rankin, 1141 Bayview Avenue, Biloxi, MS 39530. Include teacher’s name, phone number and email address in packet.
• The decision of the judges is final.
• Winning artwork will be unveiled at the Celebrate the Gulf Festival April 11, 2015 at War Memorial Park in Pass Christian.
• Winning art work will be displayed at the National Estuarine Research Reserve in Moss Point, as well as other public venues.
For more information about this competition, please contact Jessica Rankin at Jessica.email@example.com or call her at (228) 374-5000.
Contact: Melissa Scallan
MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF MARINE RESOURCES
1141 Bayview Avenue, Biloxi, Mississippi 39530
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources is dedicated to enhancing, protecting and conserving marine interests of the state by managing all marine life, public trust wetlands, adjacent uplands and waterfront areas to provide for the optimal commercial, recreational, educational and economic uses of these resources consistent with environmental concerns and social changes. Visit the DMR online at www.dmr.ms.gov