12-86-CWS | December 13, 2013
BILOXI, MS – The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) has chosen the winners of the 2013 calendar art contest. The featured artwork was selected from over 1,300 entries submitted by third- through sixth-grade students from 29 schools in Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties. Students were asked to create artwork following the theme “Preserving and Enjoying Mississippi’s Coastal Resources.” The 2013 calendar showcases imaginative artwork as well as useful marine information. The original artwork will be on display in the MDMR’s main lobby at 1141 Bayview Ave. in Biloxi.
Winners of the 2013 calendar art contest are as follows:
• January, Lauren Clarke, age 9, Our Lady of Fatima
• February, Baleigh Andrews, age 9, Cherokee Elementary
• March, Alexander Moore, age 9, Cherokee Elementary
• April, Payton Bennett, age 11, Ocean Springs Upper Elementary
• May, Caroline Floyd, age 10, Cherokee Elementary
• June, Jazmin Anderson, age 10, Jeff Davis Elementary
• July, Mary Kaitlyn Jones, age 10, D’Iberville Middle School
• August, Bettina Boland, age 11, Resurrection Catholic School
• September, Landon Wiggins, age 9, Cherokee Elementary
• October, Juliana Heise, age 10, St. Martin Center for Gifted Excellence
• November, Lauren Bowlin, age 12, Resurrection Catholic School
• December, Madison McPherson, age 12, St. Martin Middle School
• Front Cover: Lauren Bowlin, age 12, Resurrection Catholic School
• Back Cover: From left; Layne Turan, age 11, West Wortham Elementary; Austin Rice, age 9, Our Lady of Fatima; Dalton Barnes, age 10, Hancock North Central Elementary
Thank you to the following schools for participating in the contest:
Anniston Avenue Elementary, Bay Waveland Middle, Cedar Lake Christian Academy, Central Elementary , Cherokee Elementary, Coast Episcopal School, Delisle Elementary, D’Iberville Elementary, D’Iberville Middle, East Central Upper, Eastlawn Elementary, Hancock North Central Elementary, Harper McCaughan Elementary, Jeff Davis Elementary, Magnolia Park Elementary, Nicholson Elementary, North Bay Elementary, North Woolmarket Elementary, North Woolmarket Middle, Oak Park Elementary, Ocean Springs Middle, Ocean Springs Upper Elementary, Orange Grove Elementary, Our Lady of Fatima, Pass Road Elementary, Pecan Park Elementary, Resurrection Catholic School, St. James Catholic Elementary, St. Martin Center for Gifted Excellence, St. Martin East, St. Martin Middle , St. Martin North Elementary, St. Martin Upper Elementary, St. Vincent de Paul, Three Rivers Elementary, West Wortham Elementary, and Woolmarket Elementary.
The calendar, which was printed through grants from the Sport Fish Restoration and the Tidelands Trust Fund Program, highlights MDMR programs and contains sunrise/sunset times, moon phases and tidal ranges as well as reef locations, sportfishing records and boating safety tips.
IMAGE CAPTION: The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ “Preserving and Enjoying Mississippi’s Coastal Resources” 2013 Marine Information Calendar features the artwork of elementary school students from all along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The free calendar highlights MDMR programs and contains tide information, sunrise and sunset times, moon phases, reef coordinates, size and possession limits and information on boating safety, Mississippi saltwater fishing records and marine debris.
Images courtesy of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources
DMR Marine Information Calendars Available Coastwide Dec. 17
The MDMR “Preserving and Enjoying Mississippi’s Coastal Resources” 2013 Marine Information Calendar features winning artwork of elementary school students from the Mississippi Gulf Coast is free and will be available Dec. 17 at the following locations while supplies last. Calendars will also be distributed to Coast bait shops. Please call the location of your choice for hours of operation.
Bay St. Louis:
• The Sea Coast Echo, 124 Court St., 228-467-5473
• Hancock County Chamber of Commerce, 412 Hwy. 90, Suite 6, 228-467-9048
• Biloxi Bay Chamber of Commerce, 1050 Beach Blvd., 228-435-6149
• Biloxi-D’Iberville Press, 819 Jackson St., 228-435-0720
• Biloxi Visitor Center, 1050 Beach Blvd.,228-374-3105
• Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, 1141 Bayview Ave., 228-374-5000
• Mississippi State University Coastal Research & Extension Center, 1815 Popp’s Ferry Road, 228-388-4710 (After Jan. 4)
• Hope Community Credit Union, 188 Porter Ave., 228-374-1554
• The Sun Herald, 205 DeBuys Road, 228-896-2100
• Gulf Coast Community Federal Credit Union, 12364 Hwy. 49, 228-539-7029
• WXXV Fox 25, 14351 Hwy. 49, 228-832-2525
• Grand Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR), 6005 Bayou Heron Road, 228-475-7047
• The Ocean Springs Record, 432 Porter Ave., 228-207-4709 (After Jan. 4)
• Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce, 1000 Washington Ave., 228-875-0892
• Ocean Springs Gazette, 2016 Bienville Blvd., 228-875-1241
• Jackson County Chamber of Commerce, 720 Krebs Ave., 228-762-3391
• Wayne Lee’s Grocery Store, 1317 Telephone Rd., 228-762-4101
• Pass Christian City Hall, 200 West Scenic Drive, 228-452-3311
The calendar contains handy information for Coast fishermen, such as tide data, sunrise and sunset times, moon phases, size and possession limits, information on Mississippi saltwater fishing records and much more. For more information, contact the MDMR Public Affairs at 228-523-4138.
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources is dedicated to enhancing, protecting and conserving marine interests of the state by managing all marine life, public trust wetlands, adjacent uplands and waterfront areas to provide for the optimal commercial, recreational, educational and economic uses of these resources consistent with environmental concerns and social changes. Visit the DMR online at dmr.ms.gov.
Contact: Trinity Ryals Walker
Phone: (228) 523-4138