16-87-MMS| December 12, 2016
BILOXI, Miss. – The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources’ 2017 Marine Information Calendars now are available at locations along the Coast.
This year, for the first time, the agency held a photo contest, and those chosen are featured each month, as well as on photo pages in the back of the calendar.
“The response to the contest was great,” said Melissa Scallan, Public Affairs director for MDMR. “We received more than 100 photos of life on the Mississippi coast, and we are pleased to be able to showcase local photographers.”
The winners of the photo contest are: Cover, Scott Breazeale, Gulfport; January, John Mitchell, Gautier; February, Virginia Hilton, Gulfport; March, Stacy Moseley, Perkinston; April, Ron Maxie, Ocean Springs; May, Shelly Gilliam Fayard, Ocean Springs; June, Valorie Anderson, Biloxi; July, Carl Reule, Biloxi; August, Amber Jones, Gulfport; September, Russ Pylant, Mandeville, La., October, Holly Cox, Biloxi; November, Derek Fountain, Biloxi; December, Bob Effinger, Ocean Springs.
This year’s calendar features the offices and programs that MDMR administers to protect those coastal resources. The free calendar also contains such information as tide data, sunrise and sunset times, moon phases, artificial reef coordinates, size and possession limits for fish, boating safety requirements and Mississippi saltwater fish records.
The calendars will be available at the following locations while supplies last. Calendars also will be distributed to Coast bait shops.
Bay St. Louis:
• The Sea Coast Echo, 124 Court St., 228-467-5473
• Hancock County Chamber of Commerce, 412 Hwy. 90, Suite 6, 228-467-9048
• Biloxi-D’Iberville Press, 819 Jackson St., 228-435-0720
• Biloxi Visitors Center, 1050 Beach Blvd., 228-374-3105
• Department of Marine Resources, 1141 Bayview Ave., 228-374-5000
• Hope Community Credit Union, 188 Porter Ave., 228-374-1554
• The Sun Herald, 205 DeBuys Rd., 228-896-2100
• Gulf Coast Community Federal Credit Union, 12364 Hwy. 49, 228-539-7029
• WXXV Fox 25, 14351 Hwy. 49, 228-832-2525
• Gulfport City Hall, 2309 15th St. 228-868-5700
• Grand Bay NERR, 6005 Bayou Heron Rd., 228-475-7047
• The Ocean Springs Record, 432 Porter Ave., 228-207-4709
• Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce, 1000 Washington Ave., 228-875-0892
• Ocean Springs Gazette, 2016 Bienville Blvd., 228-875-1241
• Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission, 2404 Government St., 228-875-5912
• Jackson County Chamber of Commerce, 720 Krebs Ave., 228-762-3391
• Wayne Lee’s Grocery Store, 1317 Telephone Road, 228-762-4101
• Pass Christian City Hall, 200 West Scenic Drive 228-452-3311
Photo courtesy MS Department of Marine Resources
This photo by Scott Breazeale of Gulfport is featured on the cover of the 2017 MDMR Marine Information Calendar. The photo shows the Lighthouse Pier in Biloxi.
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources is dedicated to enhancing, protecting and conserving marine interests of the state by managing all marine life, public trust wetlands, adjacent uplands and waterfront areas to provide for the optimal commercial, recreational, educational and economic uses of these resources consistent with environmental concerns and social changes. Visit the DMR online at dmr.ms.gov.
[ Download PDF ]